bara
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A dispensary of prescriptions within the new Health Centre?

2 posters

Go down

A dispensary of prescriptions within the new Health Centre? Empty A dispensary of prescriptions within the new Health Centre?

Post  paul_braithwaite Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:45 pm

At the regular meeting about the progress of construction of the Health Centre (James Wigg), the Primary Care Centre's (PCT) representative - Development Mananager James Ullyot (?) - dropped a bombshell into Any Other Business.

Apparently, the PCT's efforts to find an operator for the 200 square foot coffee bar in the ground floor has had no takers. One suspects that they didn't cast their net at all after FLAPJACKS walked away when they heard "No Hot Food". As Sue Odell pointed out, most of the coffee bars in KT/Camden operate with A 1 zoning and haven't needed A 3 (restaurant/hot food cooked with a naked flame) consent, and who wants a HOT meal whilst in a health practice waiting area anyway?

The PCT was seeking an early reaction to their proposed change of plan. They got it!

They're suggesting using that space instead as a prescription dispensary, and a fully automated one at that.

The response from the FIVE resident representatives present included:

1. Residents have been categorically assured NO DRUGS on the premesis
2. There are four local pharmacies which are secure and whose profitability would be impaired
3. There are several pharmacists' jobs which could be marginalised
4. Patients benefit from FACE TO FACE discussion on prescriptions with pharmacists
5. Other shops in KT benefit from the current footfall generated in the process of James Wigg's 12,000 patients fulfilling their prescriptions, largely in Kentish Town or Camden
6. We WANT a tea and coffee facility and, in extremis, we could be persuaded to accept automatic vending machines dispensing hot drinks, sanis etc - IF no operator could be found

BUT, those present thought a local operator could almost certainly be enlisted (Mario's?).

Des Bradley has put this on the Agenda for BARA's meeting on 27th November.

The next meeting of the Liaison group is not until 11th December.

What do BARA residents think?

paul_braithwaite

Back to top Go down

A dispensary of prescriptions within the new Health Centre? Empty Re: A dispensary of prescriptions within the new Health Centre?

Post  Henry V Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:01 am

One of the many, many things that a lot of people campaigned against was the creating of a mini shopping mall effect especially a Chemist or Coffee Shop.

Kentish Town as we know is full of chemists, one being 200yds away and if people want "coffee and cake" which I for one do, what is wrong with a couple of good quality machines (no opening and closing hours as well).

I feel that what they are proposing is very similar to what happened with the trees, "just get the construction underway" by agreeing to everything and then try and go back to what the original plans were, hopefully it isn't.

I am strongly against the proposal.

Henry V

Back to top Go down

A dispensary of prescriptions within the new Health Centre? Empty Re: A dispensary of prescriptions within the new Health Centre?

Post  paul_braithwaite Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:20 am

I attended a fund-raiser meeting with Dr Roy Macgregor in the week.

I'm pleased to report that the PCT has climbed down and backed off the dispensary.

The PCT will now commission a study on the feasibility of the coffee shop in what I believe is a central position of about 200 square feet on the ground floor.

Anyone on excellent terms with Mario (I'm only an occasional user) could ask informally if he'd be interested in operating a satellite operation of teas, coffees, etc (but not cooked food).

BTW The new James Wigg practice will now have a strong emphasis on children and nursery.

Anyway, a victory for residents and common sense.

paul_braithwaite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down